1.31.2011

my "go-to" quiche

when i went away to college (seems like eons ago, especially since my youngest sister is a junior!), my mom filled my arms with yellowed and tattered "classic" cookbooks that she had collected over time. Included were two by Adelle Davis, who I really do enjoy, and a copy of Better Homes and Gardens' New Cookbook, from 1993. The first two I have read cover to cover, and I have used the latter for basic recipes, such as a roast chicken or classics such as spaghetti pie. But my most favorite recipe from that book comes in the form of quiche – via a recipe titled "Choose-a-Flavor" Quiche.

How crass a title for such a lovely and comforting meal. Paired with a crisp, fresh salad, a slice of this quiche is, quite literally, to die for. And this is from someone who has an iffy relationship with eggs. (It's a texture thing ... )

Last night's dinner included the quiche. This time with leftover honey-baked ham from Christmas (which I had deftly tucked away in the freezer) and leftover mushrooms and onion from my produce box, along with a combo of white and cheddar cheeses. Here's the recipe:

Choose-a-Flavor Quiche
  • One single pie crust, pre-made (yes, I'm working on this)
  • 3 beaten eggs – 1-2 of the yolks could be eliminated, I'm sure
  • 1 1/2 c milk – any percent works
  • 1/4 c sliced green onions or sauteed white onion
  • salt/pepper
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 c chopped protein – chicken, ham, sausage, crab meat, bacon ... but could be replaced with more veg
  • 1 1/2 c grated cheese – just use what you have on hand
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • Optional: add whatever other veg you like, such as sauteed mushrooms or spinach
  1. Preheat oven to 450*. Line pie crust in a greased pie pan (I prefer pretty, fluted ones!). Pierce crust bottom a few times with a fork and bake for 5-10 mins. Reduce oven temperature to 325*.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and add the milk, veggies, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the protein. In another bowl, toss the cheese with the flour and add it to the mix, stirring well. Pour it into the crust and bake it for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly, golden brown and set in the middle. Let stand for 10 minutes and serve.
That's it. It's easy to throw together, oh-so satisfying and always reliable. Especially on a winter night.

The last thing I will add is some exciting news: the hubs and I are officially growing an organic, raised-bed vegetable garden this year. We bought a 55-gallon food-safe barrel that we'll be crafting into a rotating composter (heck, what better way to use our produce remains than to grow more produce!), and we'll be making the bed with rail-road ties. Photos and progress to follow.

Enjoy the quiche! And this view of this week's fruit salad: blueberries, kiwi, grapefruit and orange.

On the menu this week: artichoke chicken and roasted broccoli; half-price sushi night out :); and a cheesy chicken rotini with sauteed zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment