4.06.2011

an herb garden to remember





For those of you who know my husband, you know he's pretty handy. And creative. Which are two of the many reasons why I like him. But that's besides the point. I will never forget the day I came home from work and found him on our patio, covered in sawdust and sweat, building a free-standing herb garden for me. One that matched the grain and trim of our house exactly. Amazing.

To date, I have basil, sage, rosemary, thyme, mint, some oniony-scalliony thing (which I have been unable to remember or identify, but haven't died from yet), oregano and parsley. All grown naturally and chemical-free, and ready for the picking whenever I am. (Read about why you should add herbs to marinades here.)

Dried Herbs as Gifts


Last year for Christmas gifts, I actually spent about six months drying herbs in my window sills to package up into decorative little glass jars. By the time December rolled around, I had zip-top bags stuffed with fragrant dried leaves, curled and light green, ready for the crumbling into dishes. It was a lot of fun to put together and give. A true gift from the heart.

Oh, and as of April, my dad is already demanding refills. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment