5.25.2011

cowboy steak with coffee and ancho rub



This Ellie Krieger recipe has been on my to-make list for quite some time. I've never made a coffee rub for beef, but I've heard so many great things. And I really have no excuse: I have a coffee grinder to ensure the most flavorful coffee-scented rub. So, finally, after nabbing an on-sale porterhouse (thus ensuring both a taste of filet AND N.Y. strip - two of my favorite cuts), I had my excuse. Plus it gave me the opportunity to use up the fresh veggies from my produce box, rounding out the meal with some simple roasted tomatoes and sauteed spinach. This is easy enough for a weeknight, folks. I'm living proof. Enjoy!

Cowboy Steak with Coffee and Ancho Rub
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ancho chili or regular chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. finely ground coffee or espresso beans
  • 1/2 tsp dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground coriander (a little-known fact: coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • Optional: 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1 to 1 1/4 lb. beef, such as a porterhouse steak
  1. Combine chili through pepper(s) in a small bowl. Rub evenly into both sides of the steak. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
  2. Grill the steak to desired doneness. Allow it to sit for five minutes before cutting into it.

Roasted Romas with Parmesan and Basil
  • Roma tomatoes, cleaned and quartered lengthwise
  • Fresh-chopped garlic
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parmesan
  • Freshly julienned (thinly sliced) basil leaves
  1. Preheat oven to 400.* Toss the tomato quarters with a little olive oil and a little fresh garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring every five to ten minutes, very gently.
  3. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and basil. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment