6.26.2011

strawberry buttermilk pancakes

The minute I opened my eyes this morning, I knew what I wanted. I must have been dreaming about ways to use up the pint of strawberries and jug of buttermilk that have been taunting me all week long from the fridge. Bingo - it all came together in my dreams.

I'd clipped this recipe a while back and pulled it from my recipe "Bible" (the fond name I gave to the bulging recipe binder where I store all my "to make" meals) and set out to make it. The hubs claimed that they tasted like a doughnut when he topped them with maple syrup. While I didn't taste that exactly, I did taste a light and fluffy, delicious pancake. I think it's safe to say these made Sunday proud.

Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Modified from Cooking Light
Serves 4
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 pint of strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white 
  • Canola oil in a spritzer (or cooking spray)
  • Maple syrup
  • Butter, if you like it, but I didn't think these needed any!
  1. In a large bowl, stir together the first six ingredients (flours through the salt). Add the strawberries and toss gently to coat with the flour mixture. In a smaller bowl, stir together the next four (buttermilk through the eggs). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir to combine.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spritz with canola oil. When the oil and pan are hot, drop 1/4 cup sized piles of batter into the pan. Flip when sufficiently browned and press down to flatten the pancake. Serve when both sides are toasty brown and top with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment