6.24.2011

white bean chicken chili


The perfect summer chili, I have been making this recipe for nearly six years. It's been a crazy past couple of weeks here and I wanted something easy and delicious for dinner. After a long week on its own account, our nephew was born and suddenly we found ourselves buzzing with visiting family and baby-oriented events, which didn't leave me with a lot of time for leisure (like cooking for myself and writing!). So, when I realized that I had a free Friday, night I knew it was on between me and my kitchen. Pulling out my old trusty recipe notebook, I knew I wanted this go-to favorite when I saw it.

Great paired with a salad and cornbread, you'll find that you have a filling and inexpensive, healthy meal that's easy enough to throw together on a weeknight. A good beer helps to wash it down, too.

White Bean Chicken Chili
Serves 4
  • 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized chunks
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans
  • 14.5 oz chicken broth
  • Chicken seasoning
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Toppings: cheese, scallions, sour cream, salsa, cilantro - whatever you like
  1. Heat a deep pot with olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken, sprinkling it with the chicken seasoning like you would salt and pepper, until it's almost cooked and starting to brown. Remove from pan. Add chopped onion and saute 2-3 minutes (adding a little more olive oil, if needed), salt and peppering lightly. Add garlic and saute until the onions are translucent. Add chilies, cumin and flour and stir for two minutes. Add beans and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook until hot.
  2. Serve in bowls and top with cheese, scallions, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, or whatever toppings you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment