6.27.2011

summer salads, part one: smoked turkey salad with cranberries and bleu cheese

It's summer and that usually means that I want to eat a bit lighter. After all, it's hot where I live and I have a bikini body to keep up with.

My biggest problem is that I'm not really a salad eater, in terms of a meal. I'm down for a fresh, tasty side salad, but usually cringe at the thought of consuming three cups of lettuce, more veggies and a handful of salad toppings. It just seems like such a cold meal. My point is, it has to be a really satisfying salad for me to like it.

Over the next several months, I'll share a few salads that I think are meal worthy – and each is perfect for helping to achieve that beach-ready bod. This is one of them.


Smoked Turkey Salad with Cranberries & Bleu Cheese
Vinaigrette
  • Almost 1/4 c olive oil
  • 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
Salad
  • 4 c lettuce, chopped (I like adding spinach leaves)
  • 6 oz. smoked turkey or chicken, sliced (I prefer home-smoked meats, but used good quality, fresh-sliced deli meat in a pinch here)
  • 1/2 an apple, thinly sliced and/or handful of dried cranberries
  • 3-4 oz. bleu cheese, crumbled
  • 3 tbsp. pecan halves or sunflower seeds
Combine vinaigrette and serve over assembled salad.

Still not satisfied? Try these salad ideas:

No comments:

Post a Comment